English Language and Literature
Department Programmes / Highlights
Whole school approach to reading
At WRSS, we believe in inculcating a lifelong reading habit among our students and for the students to enjoy reading. The importance of reading a wide repertoire of books across different genres is also essential. As such, we use various platforms to promote the importance of reading. Among them are :
- Appointment of Reading Ambassadors (RA)
Students are appointed as RAs and receive training on how to pass on the passion for reading to their friends. They also have the opportunity to take part in competitions like the Kids Lit Quiz National Storytelling Challenge as well as National Schools Literature Festival to further hone their passion for reading and the English Language as a whole.
- Achievements by our RAs
- Collaborations with National Library Board
Students are engaged in activities like mass borrowing, reading facilitation workshops, storytelling workshop and many more with our library partner from Woodlands Regional Library.
Catch a sneak peek of our reading efforts in National Library Board’s video :
- Collaboration across departments in promoting knowledge of current affairs. We collaborate with the Humanities Department in our Read and Reflect programme as well as in the use of selected magazines.
Assessment for Learning
- In assessing our students, we adopt an integrated approach to the learning of oral skills where it is infused in the teaching of text types. Oral assessment is integrated in the lessons and in the units of learning.
- The use of Assessment for Learning promotes self-directedness in the students and gives them a deep understanding of their learning. Besides that, it encourages the students to think about their learning through the use of rubrics and/or peer assessment.
- The use of bite-sized assessment at the end of every unit assesses the students’ learning and informs the students and teachers of the gaps that need to be closed.
- Communication skill is the a much sought-after skill by employers in the 21st Century and at Woodlands Ring Secondary, we ensure that our students get sufficient exposure to this skill in an authentic setting. Among these platforms are :
- Public Speaking Workshop at Secondary 1
- Poetry Slam through Literature at Secondary 2
- Debates at Secondary 3